Tea tree oil is an essential oil extracted from Melaleuca alternifolia plant, native to Australia. It is also known as melaleuca oil. This oil is obtained through the distillation of crushed leaves of this plant. Historically, it has been used as a medicine by Aborigines. It has several benefits, in addition to being used in aromatherapy like other essential oils. Interestingly, it was standard issue for first aid during WWI and WWII for Australian soldiers to carry in their packs.
Tea tree oil is quite versatile, it is used to relieve cough and cold. It has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties that help in preventing infecting and stimulating the immune system. It is a natural product for your hygiene, whether it is a purifying soap, a hand wash, or skin clearing mattifying toner it provides a chemical-free way to take care of yourself and disinfect your skin, hair, and nails.
Benefits of tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil has a range of benefits, from being an ideal natural moisturizer and hand sanitizer, to treat coughs, colds and inflammation.
This essential oil may prove beneficial for vaginal yeast infections and lung problems. When the oil is added to a bath or vaporizer it can
⎆ Skin benefits.
- Tea tree oil works as an excellent natural sanitizer. It kills common bacteria and viruses. It kills E.coli and other bacteria which cause influenza and pneumonia.
- This oil helps in preventing underarm odor. It has anti-bacterial properties that remove the odor-causing bacteria present in the underarm which cause body odor on sweating. It oil can be used as a natural deodorant that is safe and effective.
- This essential oil is effective to treat and disinfect minor cuts and bruises. In this way, it also prevents infection in open wounds. It works as an antiseptic for these types of wounds.
- Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory properties. It relieves inflammation and stimulates the activity of white blood cells which boosts wound healing.
- Research shows that tea tree oil can be effective to reduce acne and lessen its overall severity. It works like common anti-acne medicines. Cosmetics or gels containing this essential oil reduce the number of lesions and acne severity.
- It can be used as a moisturizer combined with a carrier oil to reduce itching on dry skin. It is also effective in treating eczema.
- Sunscreen having it as an ingredient is found to improve oily skin because of its ability to combat such skin type.
- Topical application of it may reduce athlete’s foot and toe fungus.
⎆ Hair benefits.
- Tea tree oil can be used to get rid of mild to moderate dandruff. This oil removes dead skin cells from the scalp.
- Shampoo containing this oil is shown to treat cradle caps in children.
- This oil helps in killing head lice. When combined with nerolidol, it removes lice and their eggs completely.
⎆ Nail’s health.
- Tea tree oil is considered to be effective in preventing nail fungus and eliminating it.
⎆ Oral Health.
- This oil may be beneficial for people suffering from the inflammatory gum condition of gingivitis.
- It also helps in reducing bleeding and inflammation of the gums.
- Mouth wash containing tea tree oil may treat bacteria in the mouth causing bad breath.
⎆ Insect repellent and cleanser.
- Tea tree oil may be used as an all-purpose cleaner because of its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. It can be used to sanitize surfaces.
- This essential oil helps in keeping insects away. It has a similar or greater ability to repel insects as compared to DEET. It also relieves inflammation or itching caused by insect bites.
⎆ Anti-fungal benefits.
- Tea tree oil has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, when applied on fruits and vegetables before rinsing them it protects the produce against mold and fungus.
- It helps prevent athletes’ foot, toe fungus, and nail infection because of its anti-fungal properties.
How to use tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil is commonly used for its miraculous benefits. From a healing wound to a moisturizer, this essential oil never fails to amaze us. Here we are going to discuss the various ways to use this oil.
- Tea tree oil should be diluted by combining it with a carrier oil.
- It can be used by applying it topically on the skin to reduce inflammation, athlete’s foot or to treat acne. It can be topically applied to the scalp. To remove lesions, allow the diluted oil to stay on the skin for few hours or overnight, and then rinse it with warm water.
- A combination of tea tree oil and nerolidol works effectively to kill lice and their eggs.
- This oil can be used as a hand sanitizer and moisturizer.
- This oil is used to repel insects by combining it with lavender oil, neem oil, and lemongrass oil and storing it in a spray bottled.
- To use it as a disinfectant, tea tree oil should be mixed with coconut oil and applied to the wound in a small amount, a few drops of this oil can be used while wound dressing.
- One part of it can be mixed with 9 parts of water and applied to the skin to treat acne.
- Tea tree oil can be used as an all-purpose cleaner. When combined with water and apple cider vinegar it can be used to clean. It can also disinfect shelves and surfaces.
- When mixed with virgin olive oil and coconut oil it helps in soothing skin inflammation.
Precautions pertaining to tea tree oil.
There are some precautions for safe and healthy usage of Tea tree oil.
- The quantity of the oil and its dosage depends on various factors, such as the severity of the problem, the concentration of the oil.
- Tea tree oil should not be swallowed or taken by mouth. It may cause serious side effects if taken by the mouth such as confusion, unconsciousness, ataxia or loss of muscle control, and coma.
- It is likely safe for topical use in diluted form. However, a patch test should be done before use by applying it to a small part of your skin.
- It is likely unsafe to use this oil on children and pets, especially cats and dogs.
- Pregnant or nursing women should consult their healthcare provider before using it. Similarly, people with pre-existing health and skin conditions should talk to their doctor before using this oil.
In this article, I have discussed various benefits of tea tree oil. It has anti-inflammatory effects and anti-fungal effects. It also treats E.coli because of its anti-bacterial properties. Therefore, it prevents influenza and pneumonia. It can also be used in the kitchen to clean and disinfect surfaces.
It is our wish that you find this post enlightening and helpful. If you have any questions or suggestions, we love to hear from you in the comments below. Also, kindly accept our invitation to join our group on Facebook to surround yourself with kindred spirits and post your encouraging messages.